Friday, December 30, 2011

An Apple Crisp to Rival the Lunch Lady

I don't know about you, but there weren't many things that I remember tasting good on the school cafeteria tray.  I did love that apple crisp they served, though.  You probably remember it, too.  It was cut and served in a square, had warm, gooey apple on the bottom and a buttery crumble topping on top.  I don't ever recall it being served warm, though.

To be perfectly honest, I am not that interested in dessert.  I can take it or leave it, but my family would eat it after every meal if I would allow it!  I prefer chocolate desserts and have been known to skip traditional dessert altogether and substitute a glass of sparkling wine instead. 
This dessert is best served warm and my peeps love it
with a little Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla on the side.
When I came home from the store with 2 1/2 pounds of apples, everyone took notice.  This Apple Crisp has been the center of attention since it came out of the oven.  So for me to tell you, that this warm and gooey dessert is deliciously homey, is high praise from a cavalier dessert eater. I know you are going to LOVE this one!

Apple Crisp
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 1/2 lbs. Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
  • 2 c. flour
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. butter, chilled
  • 1/4 c. Land "O Lakes Light Butter, cut into small cubes
Combine 1/2 c. sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl and mix well.  Add the apples, tossing to coate.  Spoon into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. 

Combine the flour, 1 c. of sugar, and brown sugar in a bowl and mix well.  Cut in the butter until crumbly.  Press half of the crumb mixture over the apples.  Sprinkle with the remaining crumb topping.  Arrange the cubes of light butter

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until light brown and bubbly.  Serve warm with ice cream or cool whip. 

1 comment:

  1. This was a great dessert for the entire family. Brought back fond memories of the lunchroom in school and Ms. Fignolio.

    ReplyDelete