My people love applesauce. They like plain ole store bought applesauce. They like the cinnamon flavor and the strawberry flavor that is FULL of sugar! We are working hard to cut back on processed foods and sugar, so I thought I would make my own version of applesauce. So easy, so delicious, and people pleasing! :)
- 5 lbs. of apples (I use a sweeter variety such as honey crisp, fuji or gala) peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 T ground cinnamon (yes, TABLESPOONS)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Layer apples into a slow cooker and sprinkle the cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg over the top.
- Cook on high until apples are soft, 4-5 hours.
- For chunkier sauce, whisk the apples vigoroiusly or use a potato masher.
- For a smoother applesauce, puree with an immersion blender. (too much hassle for me!)
|/Cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.|
|Chunky applesauce, using a potato masher.|