Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Chicken Chili Stew to Warm You Up

Okay, friends.  I know it has been awhile.  The truth is that I am meeting myself coming and going, but my people still want dinner.  So in between teaching Zumba and dance classes, laundry and carpool, I try to get a good meal on the table.  Don't know about your neck of the woods, but it's colder than a polar bear's toenails here and that means soup weather.  I love the crock pot, but tonight I was able to cook during normal hours and have a nice warm, dinner for my peeps.  Adding a pan of cornbread, too.

The simple blend of flavors gives this hearty stew that something extra.

Ingredients
1 T. Olive oil
I medium onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small jalapeño, seeds removed and chopped
1 T. Chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
4 c. Chicken broth or stock
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 c. Salsa verde
12 oz. leftover roasted chicken
1 (15 oz.) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 c. Fresh cilantro, chopped
Garnishes:  avocado, sour cream, tortilla crisps

Here's what to do:
All the veggies in the pot, ready to cook.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.  Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño and sauté until soft (4-5 min.)





Stir in the chicken broth, sweet potato and salsa verde and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until sweet potato is tender.

All that's left is the simmering.



Stir in the chicken  and beans.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.  Stir in cilantro at the end of cooking.  Serve in soup bowls and top with avocado chunks and a dollop of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment