Thursday, January 20, 2011

Breakfast of Champions

I have a confession to make.  I am not a breakfast person.  Breakfast for dinner may be an easy solution for you and your family, but honestly, it turns my stomach.  I'm all about the "spice" and bacon and eggs are just bland to me. 

Ironically, one of my favorites parts of the weekend is Saturday morning and "family breakfast".  Now I'm not usually the one cooking family breakfast, although I am capable of doing so.  It's when my husband, Charlieman, gets his Betty Crocker on.  Our girls LOVE having a special breakfast.  They enjoy their daddy rustling about in the kitchen and really like the extra globs of jelly he allows them to have.  I try to be a good sport, but it's just not my thing.

Recently, we tag-teamed family breakfast on a quest to try something new. 

TEX MEX EGGS BENEDICT


Pico de Gallo
2 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 to 2 small cloves of garlic, pressed
1 serano pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 c. or less of fresh chopped cilantro
Light squeeze of 1/2 a lime
Salt and pepper to taste

I use LaTortilla Factory brand "Mexican Style" white corn tortillas.  I found that it's best to prepare the tortillas and have them warm and ready when the eggs are done.

1/2 of a 9 oz. package of Mexican Chorizo
2 handfuls of frozen Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes

In a non-stick skillet, cook the chorizo over medium to medium-high heat, until fragrant.  Add the hash browns to the skillet and continue cooking until the chorizo has been incorporated and the potatoes begin to brown.  Remove from pan and keep warm.

Spread refried beans (Ducal brand--from Guatamala are FABULOUS! But any refried beans will do.  We use FAT FREE refried beans for our dish) onto two tortillas.  Next, layer the potato-chorizo mixture.  Keep warm or place in the microwave to warm 15 seconds prior to placing cooked egg on top.

Eggs
In the same non-stick skillet (that you wiped clean), using non-stick cooking spray to prevent sticking, carefully crack and cook eggs (2 at a time) approximately 2 minutes or until desired consistency.  (People are funny about their eggs. Some like them runny and others like a firmer yolk)

When the eggs are finished, add them to the prepared tortillas, sprinkle with Monterey Jack or other shredded cheese of your choice and top with pico de gallo. 

This new twist on breakfast was well received!  It was definitely not our usual bacon and eggs with biscuits kind of breakfast.  I hope you'll give our spiced up "family breakfast" a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment