Sunday, August 21, 2011

Setting the Table

There is something about a beautifully set table that makes dinner special.  It may be clean, crisp placemats, or cloth napkins, but it's just that little something extra that makes your dinner a little fancier.

My family enjoying Gracen's Birthday Dinner.
When I was growing up, my grandmother always set the table early in the evening, before guests were scheduled to arrive.  She taught me how to turn the plates so that they were all lined up in the same manner.  She used beautiful serving pieces and had salt and pepper shakers in the shape of two pink rose buds.  I learned at an early age that the napkin goes on the left, that the salad fork goes on the outside of the dinner fork and that the knife blade always faces the plate. 

I enjoyed many dinner parties in my Aunt Bobbie's home.  She had the most beautiful dishes.  The pattern was Cottage Garden and the plates were to be placed so the beautiful butterfly was at the tip top of the plate. 

Using our wedding china created an elegant backdrop.
An elegantly set table always made me feel special.  So, when my birthday princess asked if she could have her birthday dinner in the formal dining room, we went all out.  I took the opportunity to teach Gracen how to properly set a table.  We pulled out placemats, cloth napkins, chargers and my Christian Dior wedding china and Waterford crystal. 

I hear my world famous spaghetti tastes better on the good china.
What I discoverd was taking a little extra care in setting the table really accentuated our meal.  Everyone's manners were a little more proper, Everyone seemed to enjoy the special touches.  From here on out, we're dressing up the table.  It doesn't matter if we're having a simple dinner of sloppy joe sliders and sweet potato fries or herb encrusted filets.  What's on Tara's Table????  You guessed it, pretty placemats, cloth napkins, and a full place setting of silverware.  A simple touch to make dinner time memorable!

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, thank you for sharing. You have really imparted useful knowledge. A very useful post I must say. Awesome content. I bookmarked it for future reference.

    placemats and napkins

    ReplyDelete