Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken

Wednesdays are awesome!  I only teach my dance classes in the morning, and then I work out with my trainer (who likes to "push me") and then I focus on FAMILY DINNER.  Woohoo!  It's the best!  It's the one weeknight that all my chicks are home to enjoy dinner together. All the other nights, we eat in shifts.  :(

I know it's Tuesday, but maybe you can make this Wednesday night hit for your family, too.

We're Texans!  We like Mexican food and we like it weekly.  And this slow cooker recipe was a perfect alternative to taco night and allowed me to toss in the ingredients and forget about it!  

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts  (Don't be scared it doesn't turn out dry and icky!)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Taco Seasoning--you can use a package of McCormick or whatever brand you like, but I buy mine in bulk at HEB in the Healthy Living Section.  I used about 4 T.
  • 1 (16 oz.) jar of your favorite salsa (I used HEB B and Medium Heat Picante sauce)--if your peeps don't like "spicy" go for the mild salsa
  • 1 sweet onion, coarsely chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced or run through a garlic press
  • Cilantro, chopped for garnish

DIRECTIONS

  1. Lightly salt and pepper chicken breasts.  TIP:  Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.  Place chicken in slow cooker.
  2. Sprinkle 2 T. of taco seasoning (if you are using my seasoning, or half the packet of pre-packaged seasoning) over the chicken breasts.  PLOT TWIST:  Flip them over and sprinkle remaining taco seasoning over them.  
  3. In a large skillet with a little extra virgin olive oil,  saute the onion until transparent 3-4 minutes.  Add in garlic and saute an additional minute.  
  4. Pour onion/garlic mixture over the seasoned chicken.  ALMOST THERE.
  5. Pour entire contents of the jar of salsa over the chicken.  (My grandmother always said to add a little water to the jar and shake to get it all out--so do that too.)
  6. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.  NOT KIDDING.
  7. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
  8. Return to the slow cooker and toss in those most amazing juices.  

So many ways to serve:  

  • In flour or corn tortillas
  • In crispy taco shells
  • Over tostadas with a smear of refried beans--we use BAKED ones
  • Over rice and add a vegetable or fresh salad
  • Over a salad
  • Super tip:  squeeze fresh lime juice over the top of the chicken any way you serve it!
This one is soooooooo good you will want to add it to your weekly rotation!  And it's FABULOUS as a dynamic do-over--or leftovers as some people call it.  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment