Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Homemade SUGAR FREE Applesauce

Okay, I live in Texas.  It's rumored here that October has been kidnapped by September, because we are still reaching temps in the 90's in October!  It's crazy!  But  we want our Fall.  We want all the delicious scents, spices and flavors that traditionally come with Fall.

My people love applesauce.  They like plain ole store bought applesauce.  They like the cinnamon flavor and the strawberry flavor that is FULL of sugar!  We are working hard to cut back on processed foods and sugar, so I thought I would make my own version of applesauce.  So easy, so delicious, and people pleasing!  :)

INGREDIENTS

  • 5 lbs. of apples (I use a sweeter variety such as honey crisp, fuji or gala) peeled, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 T ground cinnamon (yes, TABLESPOONS)
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 2 cinnamon sticks

 DIRECTIONS

  1. Layer apples into a slow cooker and sprinkle the cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg over the top.
  2. Cook on high until apples are soft, 4-5 hours.  
  3. For chunkier sauce, whisk the apples vigoroiusly or use a potato masher.
  4. For a smoother applesauce, puree with an immersion blender.  (too much hassle for me!) 
/Cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.  
Chunky applesauce, using a potato masher.





 This is such an easy recipe!  My family loved the applesauce served warm.  Store leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat (in the microwave) for a delicious, but guilt-free dessert or late night snack.  I did not add any sugar and it honestly did not need it.  If you use tarter apples, it will yield a tarter sauce, so to keep it naturally sweet, go for those sweeter apples.  Happy Fall!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment