Monday, October 3, 2011

Fishing for Compliments

Fish.  Well, that's one I'm not an expert on.  When I was growing up we NEVER ate fish at my house.  My mother does not like fish and she does not cook fish.  The only way I remember having fish at home was at my grandmother's house.  It was rolled in corn meal and deep fried along with some homemade hushpuppies.  Well, you can rest assured that there will be no frying in my house, but I am very interested in getting my people to eat more fish!

This crispy coating gives this baked mahi mahi its satisfying
crunch.  It's a great way to introduce fish into your family's
diet.  And I am sure you won't have to "fish" for compliments!
My husband is not much of a fish eater.  He's more of the cornmeal, deep fried fish with hushpuppies kind of fellow.  I have gotten him to eat mahi mahi grilled, but it's not his favorite.  I like this particular recipe because I use panko bread crumbs and bake the fish in the oven.  To get it crisp on both bottom and top, I use a metal cooling rack, placed directly onto a cookie sheet.  It works like a charm. 

I chose mahi mahi because of it's firm texture and mild flavor, but you could use any white fish such as tilapia, or whatever your family likes best.  Here's what to do:

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 lemons
  • 2 eggs whites (I use the kind from the carton)
  • 1 c. panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 4 (4 oz.) fillets, (I used mahi mahi)
  • 2 tsp. salt, divided
  • Olive oil
  • 1 (16 oz.) package of spinach fettuccine
  • 1 c. chopped sweet onion
  • 4 cloves of garlic, pressed
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can of petite diced tomatoes
  • 2 T. drained capers
  • 1/4 c. reduced fat crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Grate zest from lemons to equal 4 tsp.  Cut lemons in half, squeeze juice into a measuring cup to equal 2 T.  Combine panko, paprika, and 2 tsp. of lemon zest in a shallow dish.  Sprinkle fish with 1 tsp. salt.  Dip fish into the egg whites, dredge in panko mixture, pressing panko to adhere.  Place fish on a lightly greased cooking rack (like I mentioned before) on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and fish flakes with a fork.
  2. Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to package directions.  Add a swirl of olive oil to a large non-stick skillet.  Add onion and saute over medium high heat for about 5 to 6 minutes.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute.  Add tomatoes, and cook 5 to 6 minutes or until tomato mixture begins to thicken.  Stir in 2 T. of lemon juice, 2 T. of capers, and remaining 2 tsp. of lemon zest and 1 tsp. of salt.  Cook 2 to 3 minutes.  Remove from heat, toss with hot cooked pasta, feta cheese and basil.  Serve with fish.

My family LOVED this meal.  My girls started out sharing one 4 oz. fillet, but both asked for seconds and gobbled up the other fillet.  This went wonderfully with a great chardonnay and would pair nicely with a sauvignon blanc as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment