Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Having a Fiesta w/ BBQ Leftovers

Remember when I told you I would have some awesome ideas for the BBQ chicken dinner from and earlier post?  Well, I showed you how to use the leftover chicken to make some delcious BBQ Chicken Pizzas, but I also have a great idea for that leftover corn on the cob. 

This is a different twist on tacos for my family,
but my girls gobbled them up.  Salsa and all.
My family LOVES tacos.  They request them every week.  I do not want to make traditional Tex-Mex tacos with ground beef or ground turkey every week.  I'm a girl who needs a little variety in her menu.  So I throw in some shredded chicken tacos to mix it up a bit.  The easy part of this recipe is that you can use leftover chicken, frozen fajita strips, or my personal favorite, Honey Jalapeno Rotisserie Chicken from HEB/Central Market.    I use the leftover corn on the cob to go into my super tasty black bean salsa, as well as my tasty Southwestern Salad.  Two options for your Leftover Fiesta:

BLACK BEAN SALSA
This wonderful salsa is great with chips or on top
of nachos for a change. 
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained (only use HALF of the can and reserve the other half for another use, or the Southwestern Salad)
  • 1 leftover ear of corn; kernels cut from the cob
  • 1 to 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 green onions, sliced thin
  • 1 small serano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1 nearly ripe (still firm) avocado, cut into cubes
  • the juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. chile powder
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use.  I spoon this over shredded chicken tacos.  I serve my tacos on low fat whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas with chicken and reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese. 

Southwestern Salad
  • 1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 3 to 5 dashes of Tabasco
  • 1/2 tsp. chile powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 4 c. chopped romaine lettuce
  • 2 avocados cut into chunks
  • 1 leftover corn cob, kernels cut from the cob (or 3/4 to 1 c. of frozen corn kernels, thawed)
  • 1/2 of the can of black beans from the salsa (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 c. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • 1 can sliced black olives, rinsed and drained
  • Shredded cheddar, pepper jack or Mexican blend cheese
This wonderful tangy salad is a great weeknight
dinner option, especially in our triple digit temps
of late.  My husband loves salad for dinner.
In a small bowl, mix together the cilantro, lime juice, Tabasco, salt, pepper chile powder.  Stream in the olive oil while whisking until smooth. 

In a large "festive" salad bowl, toss together the lettuce, avocado, beans, corn, green onions, and olives.  You can toss in the cheese as well.  We don't because of Charlieman's aversion to cheese.  We add ours separately.  If you are adding it to the entire salad, sprinkle in 1/2 to 3/4 c. of shredded cheese of your choice.  Add dressing and toss well.  Serve topped with shredded chicken and a drizzle more dressing over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment