Thursday, September 22, 2011

BBQ Chicken that Sings!

Have I ever told you that I'm not a fan of barbecue?  Well, I don't really care for that smoked taste.  I know, it's practically Texas sacrilege to not like barbecue.  AND it really stinks for Charlieman who is quite the pitmaster.  I do, however; love BBQ SAUCE!  I'm sort of a sauce connoisseur, if you will.  I've tried so many varieties, have made my own, but have a new little zippy sauce that is magical!  (and spicy)

Recently my youngest princess, Hope, asked specifically for BBQ chicken for dinner and I was all too pleased to oblige.  I will be perfectly honest and tell you that I do not sauce the girls' chicken with my spicy chipotle sauce, but use a milder version.  They still gobble it up and I'm sure your family will too. 

Save your leftovers from this tasty dinner for
the BBQ Pizza I am going to show you how to make!
Here's the menu:  boneless chicken breasts, grilled corn on the cob, green beans with sauteed onions and bacon and coleslaw. 

BBQ SAUCE
1/2 c. Bullseye Original BBQ Sauce
1 chipotle pepper in adobe sauce, stem and seeds removed
(OPTIONAL--1/4 c. brown sugar--I do not use this, but if you like a sweet sauce, by all means, go ahead)

Process sauce and chipotle pepper in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.  You are going to love this sauce so much, you might want to double the recipe. 

CHICKEN
Season the chicken breasts lightly with Fiesta brand chicken fajita seasoning and refrigerate in a ziploc bag until ready to grill.  Grill at approximately 375 degrees until internal temp reaches 170 degrees.  Brush with sauce at the end of cooking and allow to stay on the grill a few more minutes until the sauce is bubbling and caramelizing.  (NOTE--I just use the original Bulleye or Cattleman's BBQ sauce for my girls' chicken)

GREEN BEANS
Steam the green beans in the package (I buy haricot variety in a bag at HEB/Central Market) and set aside.
In a large non-stick skillet, saute' a thinly sliced onion until the color is translucent.  Add in 2 to 3 slices of chopped bacon and continue cooking until onions begin to brown.  When ready to serve, toss cooked green beans in hot bacon and onions and salt and pepper to taste.

COLE SLAW
Cut one head of cabbage in half and soak in salted water for 30 minutes.  Chopped in food processor with 1/2 small sweet onion to desired consistency.  Add 3 to 4 large carrots, pulsed to desired consistency.  Add 2 to 3 chopped green onions and finely chopped parsley.  Mix well.  Add 1/4 c. reduced fat mayo, 1/4 c. white vinegar, 1/4 c. Newman's Own Oil and Vinegar salad dressing, 1/2 tsp. salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

Okay that should get you started.  Now here's a little tip.  Add a couple of extra chicken breasts to the grill for a dynamic do-over the entire family is going to love!  AND it's perfect for those crazy weeknights when everyone is running in different directions.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment