Friday, September 9, 2011

Not Your Everyday Dinner

Sometimes I read something in a magazine and just KNOW I have to make it.  I make it even though I know my family might not find it as interesting and tasty as I do.  My family has come a long way on the road to adventurous eating, but when push comes to shove, they have rather simple tastes and if I get too out there, I am setting myself up for failure. 

Sometimes it really aggravates me when I have gone to the trouble to prepare something new and wonderful, but no one shares my enthusiasm for the dish.  And then sometimes, I just don't care that much because it's so darn tasty, it just leaves more for ME! 

Can you see where I am going with this?

This is a beautiful one-dish meal that sings with
flavor!  Light in fat and calories as well!
It all started with the September issue of Southern Living.  There was a great article about a challenge to three chefs.  The same ingredients and the mission:  a three-course meal.  It all looked great, but I zoned in on one lone recipe, "Skillet Roasted Okra and Shrimp".  It became a one-dish meal for me and packed tons of flavor.  I can't promise that your kids will love it or that any non-okra fans out there are going to gobble it up, but if you are open to something new, I can tell you this dish is warm, delicious and full of great flavor!  (And goes quite nicely with a chilled chardonnay)

SKILLET-ROASTED OKRA and SHRIMP

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. unpeeled, large raw shrimp (or splurge for the ones at the seafood counter that are peeled and deveined)
  • 3 c. fresh okra, cut in half lengthwise
  • 3 T. olive oil, divided
  • 1 pt. heirloom cherry tomatoes
  • 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp. Adams Reserve Cajun Seasoning (one of those Tara add ins)
  • 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper (if you don't like it super spicy, take this down to 1/4 tsp. of crush red pepper and you'll still get a kick without your lips burning off)
Directions
You know I love almost everything and this was
one of my favorite food adventures thus far. 
I hope you'll live on the edge with me and give it a go!
  1. Peel and devein shrimp (using a handy-dandy pair of seafood kitchen shears--see my video for more info) or purchase them ready and prepped.  Toss in 1 tsp. of the cajun seasoning.
  2. Saute okra in 1 T. of hot oil in a large non-stick skillet, over medium high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned.  Transfer to a bowl.
  3. Cook tomatoes in 1 T. hot oil in skillet over medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until skins are charred, stirring occasionally.  Transfer to bowl with okra.
  4. Saute shrimp, garlic, and dried crushed red pepper in remaining oil in skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.  Stir in okra and tomatoes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Cook 1 to 2 minutes more until heated through. 
It would go GREAT with a slice of cornbread or crusty French bread, by the way!  And don't forget the iced tea or white wine.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment