Thursday, September 8, 2011

Simple Southern Supper in a Snap!

Do you know what Charlieman says when I ask him what he wants for dinner?  He either says TACOS or CHICKEN FRIED STEAK.  We have tacos almost once every week, but I haven't fried a battered piece of meat since before we were married.  No deep fried anything for my high-cholesterol plagued husband! 

If you ask Charlie if he would like pork for dinner he says, "Sure!  I'll take some baby back ribs and Chapel Hill sausage, if you don't mind."  He never thinks of healthier options.  They simply never cross his mind.

So when I came across this awesome little Southern supper, I knew it would be a home run.  Pork tenderloin is low in fat, and this delicious coating gives you a lot of crunch without being deep fried in a vat of grease.  (Sorry MaMa, I know that's how YOU always did it)

Sage and Pecan Pork Tenderloin Cutlets
The blackberry/red wine vinegar reduction gave this
dish a tangy sweetness.  Don't skip this step!
(from Southern Living, Sept. 2011)

INGREDIENTS
  •  1 c. red wine vinegar
  • 5 T. seedless blackberry preserves (I used Polamer sweetened with Splenda)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 lb. pork tenderloin
  • 3/4 c. fine, dry breadcrumbs (I used whole wheat, of course)
  • 1/2 c. finely chopped pecans
  • 2 tsp. rubbed sage
  • 2 large eggs, beaten (I used egg beaters)
  • 4 tsp. olive oil (but I probably only used 2 tsp. and a GREAT non-stick pan!)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Bring vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium high heat.  Reduce heat to medium, and cook 6 minutes or until reduced by half.  Stir in preserves and cook 5 minutes.  Stir in salt.
  2. Remove silver skin from tenderloin.  Cut pork into 8 slices.  Place pork between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten to 1/4 inch thickness.  (It makes nice little patties AND I used a rolling pin, just like I do to pound out my chicken breasts)
  3. Stir together breadcrumbs, pecans, and sage in a shallow bowl.
  4. Dredge pork in breadcrumb mixture, dip in beaten egg and dredge again in breadcrumb mixture.
  5. Cook 4 pork slices in 2 tsp. of hot oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat 8 minutes, turning every 2 minutes.  (VERY IMPORTANT to turn every 2 minutes so they brown evenly.  Set your TIMER!)  Repeat with other 4 pieces of pork.
  6. Serving tip:  I used a spoon to dollop and then smear the sauce on the plate and then placed the pork on top.  My family LOVED the little taste of the sauce and thought the presentation was super fancy!  ; )
Using a pre-packaged side doesn't
have to be a bad thing.  Look for
natural ingredients and whole grains.
Try this awesome side.  You add the seasoning packet AFTER the rice is cooked so the pecans don't get chewy.  This is a quick and easy way to round out your meal, AND it's a whole grain blend so it's a good alternative to traditional white rice. 

To save time, I bought broccoli in the bag.  I steamed it in the microwave, following the directions on the package for about 3 minutes.  I seasoned it with a little garlic powder, onion powder, salt and lemon pepper.  My family gobbled it up! 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment