Monday, September 12, 2011

Simple and Delicious--even when eating in shifts

Busy?  Just a little.  I find it maddening that just when I need to be at home making dinner, I'm instead, behind the wheel of the mom-mobile.  What's worse is that two nights a week, we have to eat in shifts because someone dances early or late.  It would be easier to drive through and pick something up, but I'm not about easy.  I don't mind treating the girls to a cheeseburger or Chick-fil-a every now and then, but it's not an every week kind of thing for us. 

To add insult to injury the girls are quick to turn their noses up to sandwich night and tell me in no uncertain terms, that they already HAD a sandwich, FOR LUNCH!  And, I don't blame them, really.  Dinner should be delicious, even if it's quick, easy and made on the fly!

These little sandwiches were a great weeknight
supper for my family on the run!  Super tasty!
I recently found this great recipe for
Mini Muffulettas in the September 2011 issue of Southern Living.  Originally suggested as a pre-game snack, I turned this creative little sandwich idea into the perfect weeknight dinner for a family on the run.  The mini-buns made these sandwiches unique and the olive spread gave them a great zing!  AND... I should mention that I tweaked it a bit. 
Here's what to do:

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 jar of mixed pickled vegetables (Mezzetta Italian Mix Giadiniera pickled vegetable mix on the pickle aisle)
  • 1/4 c. pimiento stuffed Spanish olives, chopped
  • 2 T. Newman's Own Olive Oil & Vinegar dressing
  • 1 to 2 packages of Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat Slider Buns (I found these at HEB, but you have to LOOK for them)
  • Swiss Cheese slices (cut in half diagonally)
  • Provolone Cheese slices (cut in half diagonally)
  • 12 Deli Ham slices (I used Boar's Head Honey Maple Ham)
  • 12 Genoa Salami Slices (I used Columbus brand)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Pulse pickled vegetables in food processor 8 to 10 times, or until finely chopped, stir in chopped olives.  (I whirled mine around a little more to hide the "veggie" part from my children.  Worked like a charm!)
  2. Spread the olive/veggie mixture over the top half of the bun.
  3. Spread mustard, mayo, or whatever you like on the bottom half of the bun.
  4. Layer Swiss cheese, ham, salami, and provolone cheese top with olive spread bun.  (You can add more to the top of the meat cheese pile, if you like)
  5. Serve with baked sweet potato fries (Alexia brand) or regular potato wedges.
My girls liked these sandwiches so much, they asked for dynamic do-overs to go into their lunches the next day.  This tired mom was all too happy to oblige.  See, sandwich night doesn't have to be a bore.

No comments:

Post a Comment