Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chicken Ragu--Robust Sauce Makes the Meal

Already my life is crazy busy.  We've only had two full weeks of school and I am just working the kinks out of our busy dance schedule.  I find it more and more challenging to get delicious and nutritious dinners on our table.  When most people are cooking dinner, I'm shuttling girls back and forth from dance.  Planning is absolutely the key to getting dinner on the table at my house!  I try to stick with things I can make in stages, and when things are really crazy, like the beginning of the school year, I try to serve meals I KNOW my girls have already tried and will definitely like.  The less drama at the dinner table, the better! 
My girls love pasta.  I think they would eat spaghetti sauce three times a week, if I would let them.  I have a great base sauce that I can add different meats to that really change it up.  This particular dish is hearty enough for mom to cut WAY back on my pasta serving and have more chicken and veggies to help balance out my carbs.  Here's what to do:

CHICKEN RAGU
with Sugar Snap Bean Salad


INGREDIENTS
1 lb. whole-wheat or whole grain pasta
3 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 lb. pancetta, a couple of thick slices, cut into a fine dice
1 1/2 chicken breasts, chopped into small pieces
1 large onion, chopped
3 sprigs of FRESH rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Black pepper
1 carrot, peeled
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup Marsala (Did you know that Marsala wine is not available for purchase on Sundays b/c of the high alcohol content? So, don't wait to pick up these ingredients on a Sunday--you will be disappointed and the Marsala MAKES this sauce)
1 (28 oz.) can San Marzano tomatoes (this type of tomato is more flavorful than other varieties and should NOT be substituted if you can help it)
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
A handful of fresh basil leaves, torn

DIRECTIONS
  1. Boil pasta in salted water according to the package directions for al dente.
  2. In a large skillet, heat 2 T. of olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown the pancetta for 3 to 4 minutes, then add another T. of olive oil. Add the chicken and brown evenly for 5 to 6 minutes. Add onoins, rosemary and garlic, then season with salt and pepper. Grate the carrot with a box grater directly into the pan and stir in. Add the bay leaf and cook until all vegetables are soft, 5 to 6 minutes.
  3. Add Marsala to the chicken and vegetables , stir and reduce for a minute, then add the tomatoes and crush them with a wooden spoon. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken the sauce and combine the flavors.
  4. Toss drained pasta with the chicken ragu and cheese. Discard the bay leaf. Garnish with some basil and serve immediately.
My girls also love sugar snap beans, so I added this popular side to round out our meal.

Sugar Snap Bean Salad

1 lb. Sugar Snap Beans, washed with strings removed
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
1 T. Dijon mustard
Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. Reduced-Fat Feta Cheese
1 T. chopped fresh dill
  1. Boil sugar snap beans in a large pot for 2 to 3 minutes.  Drain and plunge into ice water.
  2. Mix lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
  3. Slowly drizzle in oil while whisking constantly.
  4. Toss with beans and add feta and dill and toss well. 
  5. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
I have since used variations of this sauce (without the chicken) to toss with tortellin, ravioli, pasta, etc. It has such robust flavors and the San Marzano tomatoes taste like they came fresh from the garden. I know you and your family will find lots of ways to use this recipe and tweak it with your personal tastes in mind. Consider putting this on your menu this week. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment