Thursday, September 15, 2011

A New Breakfast Idea

How many times have I told you that I am not a breakfast person?  I don't know, maybe 50?  Well, you and I both know that you need to fuel the furnace before taking on the day.  I bet you've seen those Special K commercials that say, "Studies show that people who regularly eat a healthy breakfast consistently maintain a healthy weight."  (Note to Charlie:  a healthy breakfast does not consist of bacon, biscuits or gravy.)

My good friend, Christy Abrams, is a trainer, fellow Zumba instructor and body building competitor.  She has great tips on healthy meal options and has been a great resource to me.  She recently shared this awesome recipe with me and I have put it to good use.  I will be honest and tell you that I tweaked it a little.  I know,  you're not surprised.  But I kept the calories low and the sugar out of there!  Here's what you need to know.

140 calories, 1.8 grams of fat, 13 grams of protein
and 16 grams of carbs.
Jump Start Flapjacks

1/3 c. oatmeal (Quaker Oats or Quick Oats, not the pre-packaged, flavored, envelopes)
1/2 c. liquid egg whites (from a carton)
2 packets of Splenda
1 CAP-ful of Vanilla extract (use the no high fructose corn syrup variety for no added sugars or carbs)
2-3 generous shakes of cinnamon

Blend in a blender until smooth.  Pour batter into super hot, non-stick skillet to make three pancakes.  Try with Maple Grove Farms sugar free syrup or eat them "Pretty Woman" style with your fingers, if you're on the go.  These little jewels get my fired up before a workout and keep me going all morning long.  I hope you'll like them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment